I love browned butter in pretty much any recipe that would normally use melted butter. I set out to make my own favorite chocolate chip cookies and knew I had to use browned butter for the perfect salty/sweet result. I have done this recipe with all different chips including: milk chocolate, semi-sweet, dark and even a combo of white chocolate chips with dried cranberries!
*Note: I definitely recommend weighing your sugar and flour in grams for this recipe. I have tried both with a measuring cup and a digital scale and the grams always turn out perfectly. If you don’t have a digital scale, don’t pack the sugar and flour down tight*
Browned Butter Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
An intoxicating cookie that hits both salty and sweet notes.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (226g)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar (320g)
- 1 large egg+1 egg yolk
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour (360g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 10 oz package frozen dark chocolate chips (or whatever chips you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Brown butter in a shallow pan on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally & watching closely. The butter is ready when the milk solids start to turn golden brown and smell similar to caramel.
- Add brown sugar to a mixing bowl and pour browned butter over and stir to combine. Let stand 5 minutes to cool.
- Lightly whisk egg and egg yolk and add to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Add vanilla extract stir to combine.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into the wet ingredients and gently fold in.
- Add frozen chocolate chips and fold until just combined.
- Scoop 1-1 ½ TBSPs of dough onto lined cookie sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until edges just start to brown.
- Let cool on sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Here is the version I made with White Chocolate and Dried cranberries. I used 5oz White Chocolate Chips and 5oz Dried Cranberries. The saltiness from the browned butter really balanced the sweetness of the White Chocolate perfectly.
53% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chips for the recipe above. Have fun with whatever chips or mix-ins sound good to you!